[ntp:hackers] ifconfig if down .. up -> ntpd loses connectivity...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 16 21:01:14 UTC 2005

At 10:48 PM +0200 2005-08-16, Frank Kardel wrote:

>  Am I the only one seeing this ? This does not seem right as the
>  previous address is gone it doesn't seem to make sense that udp
>  endpoints remain stuck on invalid addresses. Not even an error is
>  reported in ntpd. Applications seem to be kept in the dark about
>  being disconnected from the sane world.

	Known problem.  I can just about quote the bug from memory now --
I think it's #52.  The issue is that ntpd only scans the interfaces
to see which ones to bind to on startup, and doesn't re-scan the
interfaces later.

	If you search the archives of the questions at support.ntp.org
mailing list (or the comp.protocols.time.ntp newsgroup), you should
see just about every third post coming up with this same issue.

	Anyway, it's a known bug, and will be fixed in the relatively
near future.  But maybe not until after 4.2.1 is released (hopefully
within a couple of weeks).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755