[ntp:hackers] Statsdir behavior

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Tue Dec 20 14:19:36 UTC 2005

Sorry if this is a deja-vu for some of you, but I found out the hard way
that the statsdir directive in the configuration file needs to have a
trailing backslash in order to reflect a directory name.

If I use this in my config:

  statsdir C:\tmp
  enable sysstats

the sysstats file is generated as c:\tmpsysstats.2005xxyy, where I would
have expected c:\tmp\sysstats.2005xxyy ... In the original HTML
documentation I can read:

"statsdir directory_path
     Indicates the full path of a directory where statistics files
should be created (see below). This keyword allows the (otherwise
constant) filegen filename prefix to be modified for file generation
sets, which is useful for handling statistics logs."

"full path of a directory ..." sounds like we are really talking about
directory names here, but the second sentence referring to a filename
prefix could be interpreted as the possibility to alter the filename
itself. The name of the parameter suggests that we are defining a
directory name and adding a filename prefix is possible with the filegen
configuration command.

So, bug or feature?

Kind regards,
Heiko