[ntp:hackers] A little cleaning and tos maxdist

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Feb 2 19:44:42 PST 2005

Guys,

After discovering the situation reported on the newsgroup where
misconfigured NTP had the Netgear disease, I put it through some
wickedly broken configuration tests and found and fixed a few minor
things in ntp-dev (not anything like the PPS oscillator).

1. If a notrust error and iburst are configured, the client did not back
off the poll interval. It now does that under all circumstances where
the reply is absent or corrupt.

2. An unresponsive server with iburst got hammered with eight messages
every poll interval until the unreach counter reaches 12, then backs off
sending only a single packet per burst. I changed that to send a burst
only the first time after initial start or loss of reach.

3. By popular demand I put in "tos maxdist N", where N is the selection
threshold, normally 1. Set N to 16 and the clock will be set upon first
receiving a response from any server. Y'know, like SNTP.