[ntp:hackers] FreeBSD serial ports

Greg Dowd GDowd at symmetricom.com
Tue Feb 15 10:26:46 PST 2005

I understand, and agree, that the current modem initialization string is
correct.  The comment is wrong.  We had this discussion in the bugtrack
with respect to C1 versus &C0(but I think sometimes we show as anonymous
to you).

However, I have another concern which is that you removed the driver
setting of minpoll/maxpoll in the driver init which ends up clamping the
poll interval to 1024.  There is some code I don't recognize with
FIXPOLL which is only present (and masked off) in the acts refclock
driver.  Is this some temporary state?  I understand that there could be
an issue that a call may not be complete before the next poll interval
ticks but I don't see how this impacts maxpoll.

And I still liked the backup mode which I understand had a bug but I
think could have been corrected with a change in ntp_io but I can't
remember when I walked this code.

All said, the conversion to raw mode is great.  I have no idea how many
other refclock drivers this will break which is why I didn't dare
suggest it myself.  Thanks for the good work.

Greg Dowd
gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
Technologist, TT&M Div.
Symmetricom, Inc.
www.symmetricom.com