[ntp:hackers] FreeBSD serial ports

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec at ijs.si
Tue Feb 15 16:17:49 PST 2005

Greg writes:
> Are you saying that if the max and min poll values are initialized in
> the driver, they overwrite any ntp.conf server options?

So it appears.

> If that's the
> case, then I don't want to upset that behavior.  I'll use the ntp.conf
> method.  But, doesn't that violate the least astonishment principle?  It
> would be nice to have the driver suggest baseline values and have the
> user override them if desired.

I very much second that. I had issues with hard-coded minpoll
at the driver 29 (Trimble Palisade) so I had to keep a patch and
reapply it for every ntp version upgrade.

Finishing the process of cleaning up the driver29 (refclock_palisade)
(after we replaced our Palisade with Acutime2000), having converted
the driver to use the newly available one-second calls, I would be
very much interested to get rid of the driver-overrides-minpoll behavior.

  Mark