Config file format - (Was: [ntp:hackers] FreeBSD serial ports)

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Thu Feb 17 17:07:41 PST 2005

Harlan Stenn wrote:

>Please see:
>
> http://ntp.isc.org/Dev/NewNtpConfFormat
>
>If I'm implementing this, that is where I'll be working from.

Thoughts on config files.

I read the config file format page
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Dev/NewNtpConfFormat and would like to offer
some thoughts and questions for discussion.

1) Do we need remote config? I ask this because the more complex the
message ntpd is asked to interpret the more probability of a security
bug. In my experience ntpd is the only network connected program I run
that can be remotely configured. Would the world end if remote config
via ntpdc were dropped and ntp adopted an edit the file and send a
SIGHUP model like everything else?

2) IMHO the new format clearly needs to be block structured with per
server/peer/clock settings and global settings clearly distinguished.

3) Are we starting from scratch with the format? If so I’d like to
suggest that the isc-dhcpd-server config file syntax is clear, easy to
understand and isc owns the code to parse it.

4) if remote config is retained are remote changes to be persistent? If
so how do they get represented – does ntpd have to rewrite its config
file (a bad thing in my view).

John