[ntp:hackers] Re: Config file format

Brian Utterback Brian.Utterback at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 21 10:19:39 PST 2005

Mark Martinec wrote:

>>Please show me how *allowing* a URL to specify how the conf file gets
>>loaded is a hole.
>>
>>All I'm saying is that I have seen many places where this capability would
>>be a major win.  I'm not telling people to use it, and I'm not going to
>>force anybody to use it.
>>

>on a plus side: it can add flexibility for some installations;
>
>on a minus side: it adds complexity. Some may remember that a
>  popular command-line http/ftp client 'wget' is being plagued
>  with security holes, being discovered one after another.
>  Add SSL, and it all gets even worse.
>
>If one is prepared to sacrifice a potential ability to HUP a daemon
>and make it reload a config file, then perhaps a simple:
>
>  ntpd -c -
>
>(to read config from stdin) could offer as much flexibility
>as one is prepared to put into his startup script.
>
>P.S. most of us recipients are on the hackers list,
>     please avoid sending duplicates
>
>Mark

Security is just the implementation of a policy. No two people will
agree on what the security requirements
are. Ideally, we want to provide an administrative system that has a
near to zero admin cost while providing
as much  security than anybody would reasonably want. If we cannot do
that, then we need to provide a
system flexible enough to accommodate whatever level of security is
required by the particular needs of the
policy makers at a site. For some, zero admin far outclasses the
security requirement. For others, bad security
is a show stopper. NFS mounting the config files is probably not enough
security for many. Although NFS
can be configured to use the same level of security as the NTP
authentication does, how many of us have
really done this in practice? Dave, does your /usr/loca/etc/ mount
really have crypto auth configured? If
so, then I applaud you. Will the next guy, though?

I think that the proposal is a good compromise. I don't think all
protocols are appropriate for all places
though. What I suggest is the creation of a modular API for the
configuration file, and a switch to call the
configured modules. So, by default, only "-", "/absolute/path" and
"file:///absolute/path" are compiled in, with
easily used hooks to add whatever protocols people want, such as
"http:", "https:", "ldap:", etc. Then people can
easily add new ones as required (for instance, Sun will be converting
all daemons to use the new SMF facility
for configuration.) and once donated to the project, they can be enabled
or not via --with options.

Brian Utterback
brian.utterback at sun.com