[ntp:hackers] Port locking

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Feb 26 12:14:32 PST 2005

Harlan & Co.,

Port locking is now working for the ACTS driver, but there are some
rough spots I would like to smooth. First is where the locks directory
is on various systems: /var/spool/lock in FreeBSD, /var/spool/locks in
Solaris and /var/lock in Linux. This looks like an autoconfigure issue.
I need a string like LOCKFILE to define the locks directory in
refclock_acts.c.

Second is the device name convention: cuaa%d in FreeBSD and cua%d in
Solaris. Apparently, the lock file name convention varies. One man page
suggests lock.<inode>; tip uses LK.n.m.0, where n and m may be device
nodes; the existing code in refclock_acts.c (not built by me) uses the
device name, which changes between systems.

Anybody have advice on these things? The intent of port locking in the
first place is to avoid conflict with UUCP or other dial-out program, so
surely somebody has thought about these issues before.