[ntp:hackers] Dull Blade

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Jul 22 12:59:54 PDT 2005

Guys,

I just did a complete rebuild from scratch on the backroom machines
after finding suspicious behavior possibly due to Solaris 10 upgrade. It
went well on all the Solaris and FreeBSD machines except Solaris Blade
1500 deacon. I didn't change anything in the sources and the previous
build Solaris 9 worked fine. However, and only on the Blade, the ntpd
starts apparently successfully and then dies anywhere from a few seconds
to several hours later with nothing in the log. This behavior happens
only when the control terminal is detached. It runs forever under gdb
and with the debug trace turned on.

This behavior is not new. It has happened on several occasions with
Linux. On previous occasions the problem went away by itself as sources
were wiggled in various ways.