[ntp:hackers] ACTS over VoIP... any ideas?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jun 10 21:21:32 PDT 2005

At 6:09 PM +0200 2005-06-10, Terje Mathisen wrote:

>  VOIP pretty much assumes that you already have a good, realiable
>  internet connection, in which case simply using the canonical
>  configuration of a few good network sources (pool.ntp.org anyone?) will
>  give you much better time than what you'd get by adding VOIP coding on
>  top of the network protocol!

	This assumes that you know you'll be using VOIP.  If you're in
Podunk Oklahoma, your only network connection is via modem, and you
think that you'll set up this nifty new time server and have it
calling ACTS, but you don't know that your upstream telco is going to
transmit that call over VOIP, you could be in a bad situation.

	I take Todd's point.  VOIP changes the ACTS equation completely.
The issue is that you need to know how your telephone calls are being
carried, and if VOIP is being used, then you will probably need to
find a better alternative.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755