[ntp:hackers] Standardizing NTP...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jun 14 13:59:24 PDT 2005

At 8:15 AM -0700 2005-06-14, todd glassey wrote:

>  Terje and Vix - I want to remark that the ISC is not the issue here, its the
>  mechanism under which the NTP program would seek sponsors.

	We're still working on that part.  ISC has used certain models
for seeking sponsorship in the past.  Failing our ability to find
anything better, I would presume that we would try to follow one of
them.  If you have any useful suggestions in this area, I'm sure that
we'd be more than happy to listen.

	But do keep in mind that while Harlan is the Programme Manager
for ISC of the NTP Public Services Programme/Project, NTP as a whole
includes a lot more people than just the few of us with accounts on
the appropriate machines at ISC.  Dr. David Mills still owns the
ntp.org domain and is continuing his research and development on the
NTP algorithms and code, various members of the NTP community are
doing their own debugging/research and development/porting/etc... in
various areas (including some people who work on this stuff for
various OS/platform vendors), etc....

	There's a whole wide world here, and the NTP Public Services
Programme/Project at ISC is just one part of that.

>  What does this mean to this effort? Possibly that there would be a recurring
>  royalty stream to fund the operations of the consortia. If this isn't the
>  consortia - then this is not what would be funded - if you decide that this
>  is the consortia - then this is where the money would stay.

	Again, I think I have to go back to my "walk before we run, crawl
before we walk" model.

	Perhaps you need to spend some time learning more about the NTP
community as a whole.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755