[ntp:hackers] Re: IPv6 Multicasting

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jun 29 21:12:38 PDT 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> Harlan,
>
> I am told the nslookup and dig programs have compiled-in DNS interfaces
> and some other programs like ping use the system library, which may use
> something different. Machines other than pogo and whimsy normally use
> NIS to resolve a name. If pogo and whimsy can't resolve a name via NIS
> then they (only) fall back to DNS. That's as far as I go. I don't know
> why the default library operates differently than nslookup/dig and I
> don't know why it once did and now no loger does.
>
> Dave

Dave, nslookup and dig as built from the ISC sources use the standard
libbind (BIND 8) libraries or BIND 9 libraries for running queries and
don't use any local resolver code to do the lookups. programs like ping,
traceroute, etc. almost certainly use the local system resolver code.
I'd like to recommend that you don't use NIS but there are usually other
things going on on the machines that would prevent you doing that not to
  mention the support people need standard configurations on all their
machines otherwise support becomes a nightmare.

Is there some issue with NTP that needs to be resolved or are you
dealing with other issues?

Danny