[ntp:hackers] BK Question (again)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon May 9 06:50:33 PDT 2005

> >  if we're going to switch from bitkeeper, let's evaluate perforce.
>
> 	Sorry, I'm not familiar with that program.  Can someone fill me in
> on what the relative advantages are?

perforce was writ by one christopher seiwald, whom i met in 1977.  he
later went on to write "smail3" in loose partnership with mark horton,
and he gave me one of my first-ever BSD guest accounts back in the late
UUCP era.

chris has offered to let open source projects use the perforce server
software without fee, and the perforce client is already free.  perforce
is more or less what you'd get if you put the top people in the field
on the project "what's REALLY needed here?" and funded them for a decade.

googling for "seiwald perforce" is the right way to understand more.
<http://www.vaccaperna.co.uk/scm/branching_many_releases.html> and
<http://www.techonline.com/community/ed_resource/feature_article/25870>
are both pretty relevant to harlan's list.  but i'm pretty sure chris
would let harlan and i buy him dinner to get questions answered.

> 	If we're talking about switching from one commercial package to
> another, I'm not convinced that this would buy us anything.

if bitkeeper has become insane and non-FOSS-friendly, then NTP has to
either renegotiate with them, or switch.  if we have to switch, then we
should switch to the thing that gives releng (which is mostly harlan)
the features he needs.  that may require switching to a different
commercial package.  i know that the perforce people are not insane and
are unlikely to become so.