[ntp:hackers] BK Question (again)

Dean Gibson (NTP Administrator) ntp at ultimeth.com
Mon May 9 08:43:20 PDT 2005

On 2005-05-09 06:50, Paul Vixie wrote:

> if bitkeeper has become insane and non-FOSS-friendly, then NTP has to
> either renegotiate with them, or switch. if we have to switch, then we
> should switch to the thing that gives rel eng (which is mostly harlan)
> the features he needs. that may require switching to a different
> commercial package. i know that the perforce people are not insane and
> are unlikely to become so.

The concern I have is, what if perforce (or any other non-OPEN SOURCE
package) becomes "unavailable" (like BK, or for any other reason) in the
future?  We'll have to go through this again.  That's the value of an
open-source SCM (or any other software package upon which you depend for
persistent data);  no one can pull the rug from under you.

-- Dean