[ntp:hackers] UDel security

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu May 12 12:20:34 PDT 2005

Danny, Steve, et al,

For some time now access to our department NTP server pogo.udel.edu has
required cryptographic authentication. Read my message as extending this
model to our public NTP server rackety.udel.edu. The other sandbox
machines here have flavor of the moment configurations for testing
purposes that sometimes do and sometimes don't require authentication.
Perhaps my meaning can be clarified by saying the notrust bit is set for
pogo and that I plan to set it on rackety (with due advance notice).

Recent experience at USNO and NIST strongly suggests some form of
mandatory access control is necessary for at least some public servers.
Case in point is at USNO, where the operators want to screen out all
except military customers. Autokey and notrust would seem the natural
defense. To make this work in practice, there needs to be a convenient
way to get the group key. At the moment, I can't find the magic secure
web page that serves as a way to get the group key wrapped in a shell
script that installs the key and links.

What I would like to see at ISC is a secure web page which does this
where the user supplies the server name and password to encrypt the
reply. The group key could be supplied at the time the public list is
updated. I would assume some way would be required to upload the group
key. Is this possible?

Of course, this issue in and of itself has nothing to do with whether or
not the notrust bit is set.

Dave