[ntp:hackers] UDel security

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri May 13 14:40:30 PDT 2005

--On Thursday, May 12, 2005 7:26 PM +0200 Mark Martinec
<Mark.Martinec at ijs.si> wrote:

> Due to increased number of password guessing attempts over ssh seen in
> recent months, we (at our institute) now only allow ssh logins through
> DSA or RSA keys, no longer by passwords. Also the ssh protocol version 1
> is to be disabled, it has known weaknesses. After some grace period,
> PasswordAuthentication should be set to no in sshd_config.

There seems to be an automated tool looking for simple passwords and my
logs on several widely-separated servers filled with the attempts. I moved
sshd to an unusual port and the logs have been clear ever since. This won't
protect you if someone is specifically targeting you, but it raises the bar
substantially for the random crackers.