[ntp:hackers] BK Question (again)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat May 14 22:12:02 PDT 2005

At 01:06 AM 5/9/2005, Reg Clemens wrote:

> > At this point I'm still focused on finding a way to use commercial BK for
> > the ntp developers (the scope of which will be determined soon, but it will
> > have to be a "wide enough" scope).
> >

>I think that would be great.
>If we could get you a commercial version of BK (so your job remained doable),
>and were able to generate daily or weekly tarballs (with a script) so that
>the rest of us could see what the code looked like, that would be optimal.

That's already being done and has been for quite a while. A source code
change triggers a new snapshot that appears on the download site once
per day if there are changes. See:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/snapshots/ntp-dev/2005/

for this year. There's a new directory every month.

>Id say that even if we have to take up a collection to buy the BK, that
>would be acceptable, but It would seem that Dave's Military types should
>be interested enough in having a audit trail that they should be willing
>to cough up enough money to buy BK.

I think that Harlan and myself are the only regular users of BK for NTP
development. I personally am not that fond of BK but there are some
really nice features that it does have like the ability to clone a new
repository even on the same machine and any one can be considered
the master. I've used many code management systems and I can work
with any of them. I'm not familiar with perforce or subversion but it really
doesn't matter to me. Harlan, who has to do most of the work in releasing
code, is the one with the most difficult job working with the code
management system and needs to be comfortable with the tool chosen,
so I will be leaving most of the decisions over this to him.

Danny