[ntp:hackers] Re: Anybody object to requiring AnsiC for building NTP?

Harlan Stenn stenn at www.ntp.org
Wed May 25 23:32:20 PDT 2005

Dave,

Folks with Old boxes may care, if they don't have either a working gcc
or a way to cross-compile (gcc can be built as a cross-compiler and
it's not terribly hard to do).

As for other definitions of "rarity", I'll note that after many years
of groundwork, C89 was standardized.  This standard was no surprise to
anybody back then, so compilers for it existed way back then.

For this to bite people, they'd have to be running OSes that are,
therefore, at least 16 years old (and this is way before Y2K issues).

Finally, I'll point out that if there are indeed folks who need this they
need to speak up and provide funding to maintain the code in the way they
want it.  Other than the funding you get for your efforts, nobody is
getting paid to work on this stuff and there is definitely a cost to us
to try and keep the code buildable by K&R (I don't think we have any
K&R systems at UDel anymore so we have no way to be sure anymore).