[ntp:hackers] Does ntpd need to whine more ?

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Mon Oct 3 10:33:38 UTC 2005

> I'm also wondering the wisdom of not slamming the poll rate back
> to 64 seconds when the shift register runs empty.

Slamming back to minpoll when a host becomes unreachable is a fairly
evil behavior (and also one that OpenNTPD has).  What good does
polling a sick host (either broken, or nonresponsive due to network
difficulties) more often do?  When you call in sick for work, do you
want work to then call you back every 5 minutes to see if you're better?

If you implicitly do not trust the PLL behavior of tuning local drift,
I'd advise that you fight that battle first.

Tim.