[ntp:hackers] Does ntpd need to whine more ?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Oct 3 14:56:35 UTC 2005

In message <43414333.4070001 at udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" writes:

>Be advised the NTP WG will likely include the ntpd clock discipline as a
>required component of a conforming intermediate server that synchronizes
>to an upstram server and provides synchronization to a downstream
>client.

That would not only be a bad idea, it would also be downright stupid
because it would essentially outlaw research and development on this
very topic.

And it would make it impossible for companies like Symmetricom to
deliver a conforming server because their timebases are waaaaay
better than anything the NTP clock discipline knows how to handle.
(If you run the NTP clock discipline on a OCXO or better timebase,
it wanders aimlessly around for ages before it realizes that it has
very little to do and it never ever gets close the necessary
timeconstants.)

>This is necessary for stability in a distributed, multi-stratum
>subnet.

That is rubbish.

The telcos SOnet networks that span the globe have solved far tricker
synchronization problems with a huge mix of different algorithms
and have managed to create a stable network despite many different
manufactureres blunders over time.

>If you have other agendae, whou should particiapte in the
>discussions and make your opinions known.

My opinions are herewith on the record.

I do not have the economic resources to participate in IETF WGs, sorry.

Poul-Henning