[ntp:hackers] Does ntpd need to whine more ?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Oct 3 15:38:33 UTC 2005

P-H,

You didn't read my message. The requirement to use a crafted discipline
algorithm applies only to an intermediate server with upstream sources
and downstream clients. Symmetricom knows this as I have personally told
them so. There is no requirement for Symmetricom to adopt this algorithm
in the case of precision sources such as GPS or cesium or even ACTS, as
some Symmetricom producs use.

The NTP clock discipline algorithm was not designed to discipline
precision sources directly; however, in my experience with external PPS
sources, both the kernel discipline and daemon discipline work quite
well. See pogo.udel.edu or rackety.udel.edu, both of which hold the PPS
in general to within a few microseconds. I don't think it makes a lot of
sense to do much better than that for a modern computer network; but, if
the jitter and wander could be better controlled, there is no reason why
the existing discipline could split the nanosecond.

I don't understand your comment about the discipline "wandering around"
with a precision source. It doesn't do that, a fact that can be quickly
confirmed using the simulator. You are invited to confirm yourself and I
would be really interested in any exceptions you may find.

There is no intent to outlaw research on clock discipline algorithms,
only a requirement that the closed-loop transient response in all
servers and clients be compatible and stable over the poll interval
range, and this requires the poles and zeros to be carefully managed,
especially if multiple strata are involved. Think of the response of a
whip to a transient, and then consider the response of a whip to another
whip.

Your tone is dissapointing, but I am not going to argue with you.
Please, and I am serious about this, take your reservations to the NTP
WG and be heard.

Dave