[ntp:hackers] ntp release numbers

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 01:05:53 PDT 2005

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am wondering if I should change the numbering of the releases so
> that we bump the 3rd number on every published "patch" to ntp-stable.
>
> If we do that, it will affect some of the bugzilla numbers, and also
> mean that I'll be releasing 4.3.0 instead of 4.2.1 soon.
>
> Note that I am planning to release 4.2.2 about 6 months after 4.2.1 is
> released.
>
> I could also start doing 4.2.1-pl1 (for example).
>
> Any thoughts or comments?

Harlan,

Whilst with my own software I use a three digit code for the "released"
versions, but as you're only talking about a new version every six months
it would seem that a two-digit code might be enough.

Do I understand you to mean that 4.2.0 would be the "released" version,
that 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3 would be development versions, and that 4.3.0
would be the next released (stable) version?

I think that the only problem with this would be the edits required to go
from 4.2.xx to 4.3.0 - all just before a "released" version.  You could
perhaps use 4.3.rc0, I suppose.

As I write this, I think I'm missing the whole point!

Cheers,
David