[ntp:hackers] IEEE 1588 support in NTP?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Oct 28 02:59:30 PDT 2005

In message <4360E7E6.5090104 at sktc.net>, "David D. Hagood" writes:

>Has any consideration been given to adding support for IEEE-1588
>Precision Time Protocol (PTP) into NTP?

It's patented.

You need to pay HP (or Agilent ?) $1000 to license the patents.

Their licensing model seems to be $1000 per hardware vendor.

I couldn't get HP to tell me if the patents would apply to a
software only implementation of if the only covered hardware
implementations.

When I asked, doing this just once for the NTP project as such
was not acceptable, although it was not clear who would have
to pay all in all.

hey can't waive the license fee for NTP usage because then their
other licensees would not receive "fair and identical license terms".