[ntp:hackers] Re: [ntp:questions] ipv6 restriction lines

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 5 02:08:45 UTC 2006

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> What is the format for the ntp.conf "restrict" lines for ipv6
> addresses?  I couldn't find it in the http "man" pages and these two
> guesses both got gripes syslog-ed.
>
>     restrict 2001:05a8:0004:07d0::/48
>     restrict 2001:05a8:0004:07d0:: mask fffff:fffff:fffff:ffff0:0000:0000:0000:0000
>
> -wolfgang

Funnily enough I had been looking at this last week and concluded that
the IPv6 restrict code needs work. I just didn't expect anyone to ask so
soon! :)

I don't have a direct answer but I suspect that you can't use anything
but an IPv4 netmask. I'd also like to add a /nn option to the restrict
lines so we can use the now pretty standard prefix length for these
lines for both IPv4 and IPv6. I was about to put out this suggestion to
hackers so I'm copying that mailimh list as well.

Danny