[ntp:hackers] ntp and signalled IO

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Apr 18 07:58:57 UTC 2006

Folks,

I'm not sure about some of the reasons here, but this is my best guess.

The recvbuf fixes are apparently not safe with respect to signalled IO,
in part because we seem to be doing "too much work" in the signal handlers.

I was thinking that we should disable signalled I/O in general, unless
somebody has a Really Good Reason why we should continue to support it.

I am also assuming that sometime after 4.2.2 is released (which will
probably now be in a bit over a week, as Danny thinks he'll have a
proper fix for the Windows issue with recvbuff in a day or so) we can
convert to something like ISC's eventlib code and rewrite the loop code
(which will hopefully solve the problems we now have and also eliminate
the need for signalled IO).

Comments anyone?