[ntp:hackers] Manycast interfering with client packets?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Apr 20 21:37:58 UTC 2006

Dave,

I've been debugging a problem with a Windows bug and I had it set up as
a multicast client as well as a broadcast client:

multicastclient 239.1.1.2
broadcastclient

I found that it was dropping packets from a neighboring system sending
client packets.

It appears that the cause of my ntpd not returning anything is due to it
deciding that it is not a manycast server. It is falling into this piece
of code in the receive() function in ntp_proto.c

/*
 * This must be manycast. Do not respond if not
 * configured as a manycast server.
 */
if (!sys_manycastserver) {
	sys_restricted++;
	return;			/* not enabled */
}

Apparently this is due to my have it act as a multicast client. This
seems wrong to me, but removing that allowed the packet to be processed
and a packet returned. We will need to revisit this but it seems like a
bug to me since I don't have it set up as manycast.

Danny