[ntp:hackers] Re: sntp

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Aug 28 21:10:12 UTC 2006

Harlan,

I'm copying this to the hackers list, as others might want to comment.
Let me take your points seriously. I use bold here for emphasis as do
the rfcs.

You assume ntpd is not auditable, from which I gather sntp is supposedly
auditable. I conclude that sntp should not use components from the ntp
distribution unless those components are auditable. Has someone (Todd?)
made that professional judgement? To be auditable a serious claim would
be necessary that the implementation conform to rfc4330. The
implementers should verify that with the rfc4330 text, especially the
best practices section. To preserve audibility, the sntp distribution
should be separate and at arms length from ntpd.

To conform to the spec, an sntp client MUST NOT function as a server.
The only thing it MUST do is send a compliant packet to a legitimate
server, receive a compliant packet and set the system clock. As the spec
says, it would be NICE to use the ntp on-wire protocol and delay/offset
calculations in order to avoid problems with timestamps in different
eras. The spec says nothing about timeout/retry other than consecutive
calls should be spaced at least 15 seconds with exponential backoff. The
spec gives strong advice on the timeout between successive sntp runs,
usually expected to be several days. The spec writers were very serious
about these things, having been assaulted by the Netgear incident.

The sntp client MUST cease operation with a server if a KoD is received
and MAY switch to another server as backup. It would be NICE if sntp
aborted in response to a ICMP error message. It would be USEFUL if it
used something like the ntpd panic and step thresholds (which could be
set much higher than ntpd). These are not specified in the rfc.

Putting in anything beyond the strict specification is a slippery slope.
>From a specification and normalization point of view, it MUST NOT
perform additional functions other than specifically allowed in the
specification. If it did, the auditors could suspect the additional
features could be misused. See where I am going with this? It would
certainly be possible that there will be j-random implementations of
sntp including additional features, but those implementations cannot
claim to be strictly compliant with the sntp specification. If an sntp
product leaves these shores, it should be strictly compliant and should
so state with emphasis.

Some features are certainly possible and maybe even desirable in
connection with the operating system, such as those you suggest. They
have nothing to do with the protocol specification. It may even be
possible to implement additional protocol capabilities, like operate as
a server, but they MUST NOT be enabled in the default build and their
configuration controls should be banished to a separate page in the
documentation. Only if these features are disabled will the auditors be
satisfied. Something like, if you break the seal the warranty is voided.

Upon review of the spec, I see something broke in the security section
markup. It references only a very old Autokey document, long since
superseded. The spec says security features are optional, but if they
are included, they must conform to that document. The writers intended
to say that, if included, they must conform to the MD5 scheme documented
in rfc1305 with OPTIONAL extensions in the Autokey document. The spec
writers have no shame in this, since it took three years to survive the
IETF process.

My umbrella is deployed and I expect the rain.

Dave