[ntp:hackers] Copyright notices

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 9 19:10:46 UTC 2006

In message <43EB8F23.2090903 at udel.edu>, "David L. Mills" writes:

>Some of the copyright statements quote the AT&T/UC Berkely boilerplate,
>which as far as I know is no longer relevant. Can these be removed?

If the code in question comes from BSD sources, they are still relevant
and can not be removed apart from the 3rd clause of the BSD license
(the advertising one) which UCB announced that they would no longer
enforce (see bottom of src/COPYRIGHT on any recent FreeBSD machine).

>Your brain cycles would be cherished.

Tell Oracles laywers that we have done Oracle a service by writing,
testing and offering for free software which they are welcome to
use under the terms indicated.

They are of course more than welcome to contact the individual
copyright holders directly to negotiate any changes they might want
to suggest, but they will have to do all the tedious hunting for
people (and their lawyers) themselves.

If they don't recognize the dance at this point, tell them that it
is probably cheaper for Oracle to write their own NTP implementation
than to bring their lawyers up to speed on Open Source Software.

I've had this song and dance with several american lawyers and some
learn fast, some learn slow and most never learn.

Poul-Henning