[ntp:hackers] Copyright notices

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Thu Feb 9 20:43:16 UTC 2006

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> And just _what_ is the benefit to the project of doing this ?

Clarity? My experience is exactly the reverse of yours. My experience
is that companies which establish the copyright owners, not to
target others for liability, but to protect themselves from it.

I see, for instance that the ntpsweep script has a copyright ownership
other than Dave, but with nearly the same terms. Okay, but it says
that the permission notice must be published intact in supporting
documentation. What does that mean? Do the man pages need to all
have a copy of the clause? Or at least one of them? If either of
these, do both (which is to say all) versions of the permissions
statement need to be published in their entirety?

If a company uses the distribution and does not abide by all the
terms in all the files, they open themselves up to a liability.
And if they provide indemnification, as many vendors do, then could
be liable for thousands of infractions and open themselves up to
a very large liability indeed.

--
blu