[ntp:hackers] configuration file rewrite

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Feb 24 12:44:13 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn said:

>Dave tells me he has a student who is rewriting the ntp configuration
>file format and processing.
>
>As I understand it, a side effect of this effort will be that we will
>lose the mode 7 remote configuration stuff.

Remote configuration provides only a sub-set of the ntpd configuration
options. Never the less it can be quite useful in circumstances where
you wish to add / remove remote time sources from a running ntpd.

Gaining the ability to re-read the configuration file and
_incorporating_ the configuration changes to a running ntpd (i.e. HUPing
ntpd) seems to me to be an acceptable substitute for the loss of mode 7
remote configuration.

>Does anybody have a strong objection to losing the ability to remotely
>configure ntpd?

I do not want to lose the ability to change ntpd configuration on the
fly.

NTP Public Services Project http://ntp.isc.org/
Public Key at http://ntp.isc.org/Users/SteveKostecke