[ntp:hackers] Re: NTP and leap-seconds

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Jul 4 19:55:30 UTC 2006

Recent Olson tz library implementations support either/both with(out)
leap second for timezones.  ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ is where to
find it.

There have been 5 bugs reported with the word "leap" in the summary; 3
are now closed. (508 and 539 are still open; 521, 525, and 543 are
closed).

Somebody sent in a request to have ntpd behave differently (properly, in
his opinion, as I recall) if the base OS was already handling leap
seconds.  I have not been able to find those emails, however.  His
approach was to check to see if the OS was default-configured to use the
"right" timezone (see the Olson stuff above) and (do something) in that
case in the low-level time set/get code of ntpd.  I think...