[ntp:hackers] Cool new stuff

Sachin Kamboj skamboj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 15:31:22 UTC 2006

Dear Prof. Mills, Fellow hackers,

I will need some volunteers and testers to help with the testing. I have
tried to exercise all parts of the configuration code but there might be
subtle bugs on different platforms that I don't have access to. I will fix
these as they are reported.

Also, I have added a couple of source files that are being included into
ntp_config.c (yuck!). Ideally they should be compiled seperately and linked
with the rest of the code. I will need help adding that to the configure
procedure.

There are two main departures in the configuration syntax from the existing
practise:
1. peerstats, loopstats, cryptostats, sysstats, clockstats and rawstats are
now reserved words and may not be used as filenames in the configuration
file. Hence, a configuration command such as:

filegen peerstats file peerstats enable

won't work and will give a syntax error. Instead, use something like:

filegen peerstats file peer_stats enable

2. Right now, the -4 and -6 switches, for DNS zone selection don't work. I
wasn't sure why they were needed, but I can put them in later.

Other comments:

As you might expect, the configuration code is almost completely gutted
> and the ntpdc remote configuration no longer works.

I'd just like to clarify that I haven't made any changes to ntpdc, so as of
now, remote configuration with ntpdc *does* work. The original intention was
to remove it and we can do that at a later date.

> Lots of things haven't been thorougly tested and several improvements,
> like the ability to read configuration files by ntpq, need to be on the
> todo list.

I just finished adding that with another command, config-from-file. Should
work fine now...

Also if anyone has some thoughts on why everything works fine when ntpd is
run with the -d switch, but doesn't configure when run without it, please
let me know. That is the final block preventing me from releasing the code
into the wild.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Regards,
Sachin.