[ntp:hackers] Cool new stuff

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jul 21 20:15:47 UTC 2006

Hey Sachin,

> I will need some volunteers and testers to help with the testing. I
> have tried to exercise all parts of the configuration code but there
> might be subtle bugs on different platforms that I don't have access
> to. I will fix these as they are reported.

To do this easily we'll need to create a repo for it so the various ntp
committers can easily work on it and I can also roll tarball releases
for anybody who prefers them.

> Also, I have added a couple of source files that are being included into
> ntp_config.c (yuck!). Ideally they should be compiled seperately and linked
> with the rest of the code. I will need help adding that to the configure
> procedure.

I can do that with you.

> There are two main departures in the configuration syntax from the existing
> practise:
> 1. peerstats, loopstats, cryptostats, sysstats, clockstats and rawstats are
> now reserved words and may not be used as filenames in the configuration
> file. Hence, a configuration command such as:
>
> filegen peerstats file peerstats enable
>
> won't work and will give a syntax error. Instead, use something like:
>
> filegen peerstats file peer_stats enable

Are you using lex/yacc (flex/bison)?  This should not be that hard to
fix...

> 2. Right now, the -4 and -6 switches, for DNS zone selection don't work. I
> wasn't sure why they were needed, but I can put them in later.

They are needed - they tell us if we want to limit answers to IPv4 or
IPv6 responses (ie, if we only wish to pay attention to AAAA or A record

> Also if anyone has some thoughts on why everything works fine when ntpd is
> run with the -d switch, but doesn't configure when run without it, please
> let me know. That is the final block preventing me from releasing the code
> into the wild.

Are you using ntp-stable or ntp-dev?  This probably doesn't matter, but
the former uses the original command-line parsing, and the latter uses
the (much better, from what I can see) libopts parsing.

> Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Where is your code at the moment?