[ntp:hackers] NTP 4.2.3p7 Released

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Jun 22 18:03:56 UTC 2006

> The bottom line that bothers me is that ISC and I both claim the same
> intent but have far different wordings. I scarfed my copyright statement
> from the MIT Athena project, but changed one word on advice.

i on the other handstarted from a BSD copyright and edited it to remove the
restrictions i didn't care about, like "must give us credit in your login
banners" and so on.

> I conclude it's not the issue of use with or without restrictions, it's the
> claim of stakeholder. I want to be sure UDel is acknowledged as the
> representative and copyright holder for the authors listed on the copyright
> page for most of the software.

and that's fine with me.

> ISC wants to be acknowledged as the author of some of the software, both in
> some fraction. So, what the copyright statement(s) really says is use the
> stuff in any way you want, but be sure to acknowlege UDel/ISC as authors.

isc does not need to be acknowledged in the packaging or advertising or
distribution of products containing our IPR.  our copyright statement does
not need to appear in the binaries or documentation.  the only issue we've
got is if someone wants to remove our copyright statement from the source
code and then distribute that source code, we'd be upset.

i think the best way to resolve this is to make bind8/bind9's libraries a
prerequisite for building ntp after the eventlib conversion.  those libraries
are available free of charge with unlimited redistribution rights including
commercial, noncommercial, modified, unmodified, with source, without source.
that way you're not incorporating isc's libraries, you're just using them,
much like you'd use the openssl libraries for crypto.