[ntp:hackers] libguile crap...

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 28 19:16:36 UTC 2006

Reg - as one of Sun's Ex-Build Masters (scary thought that eh?) let me
answer this...

GNU Configure (autoconf/make/gen) usually has any number of switches with it
and its ALWAYS a good idea to at least onece do a "./configure --help<cr>"
to review the template that was built for that system. Also any number of
envirnmental variables can be passed to it. Some GNU for instance requires
that the compiler be enumerated somewhere in the command line - either as a
SHELL variable preceeding the command or as a flag/switch for the command.

All in all its pretty clean so... That said, the errors you are getting are
probably based on the releases Autogen templates expecting to see GUILE in
/usr/local/lib/libguile and not in /usr/lib/libguile where your system
actually has it installed. This is likely to a hard coded route to this file
in the template which is something that a build standard for NTP would
eliminate.

We should look for this and fix it for the principal release... But, if you
doubt this copy the GUILE lib or link it to /usr/local/lib and try rerunning
the build from the MAKEFILE level that already exists...

Remember on Linux or other OS's with static Loader Path resolutions, that
you will  have to properly denote the path's to the libs in the
/etc/ld.so.conf or equiv file and then rerun ldconfig for the compiling the
link-editor's search-path variable for the system.

The other issue here of course is OS's that still require the 64 bit
libraries to have a separate path from the 32 bit ones... becuase the loader
is too stupid to figure out the bits, signs and what not from the load
module.

---

FWIW I have built the new release on UBuntu 6.06 *(Dapper Drake) on x86 and
PPC, SuSE 10.x Desktop on X64 based AMD Athlon64+ chips,  Solaris 2.8 on
UltraSPARC 5 WS and Netra t105's, Solaris 2.9 Ultrasparc5 WS, and ATT 4.3x
Unix on my ancient 3B20... *(yes I still have one!).

Also - I might have an extra HP9000/R345 sitting around if the ISC wanted to
house it for the NTP effort. That would get you back a HP-UX system. My only
requirement for donating it is if it is the only system running HP-UX then
people like Symmetricom will probably want to be able to do testing on their
drivers for HP-UX if the have any and I want to make sure that this
capability exists if I donate the system to you. Likewise, I can make a
couple of phone calls to HP and find some HW for you folks if you want...

Todd Glassey