[ntp:hackers] Re: configuration file rewrite

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 3 04:09:35 UTC 2006

(Adding Dave to the Cc: line.)

Danny Mayer wrote:

> Hal Murray wrote:

>> Speaking of configuration rewrite...

>> Is it on the wish-list to add a minimal (un)restrict entry so that a
>> server or peer specified in the config file will work correctly even
>> if there is a blanket restriction that would otherwise block replies?

>> Maybe the restrict keywords should be allowed on the server config
>> lines with an appropriate default so you can modify the free restrict
>> line.  ???

>> I think this would solve the problem of can't-use-DNS unless it
>> returns only one IP address.

Danny> I was planning to have any server/peer that was configured,
Danny> whether as a host/FQDN or as an IP address added to the list of
Danny> allowed addresses irrespective of the restrict settings unless
Danny> that address is explicitly denied. It makes no sense any other
Danny> way. It has nothing to do with the config file rewrite.

Danny, what do you mean by "the list of allowed addresses"?  "Allowed"
to do what, exactly?

Sometimes people list servers that they wish to monitor but they do not
want to exchange time with them.  There must be a way to continue to get
this behavior.

Regardless, we have no idea what the spec is that Dave is going for.

I will also point folks at:

 http://ntp.isc.org/Dev/NewNtpConfFormat

for discussions and wishlist items for the config rewrite.