[ntp:hackers] Re: configuration file rewrite

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Fri Mar 3 05:11:04 UTC 2006

> Sometimes people list servers that they wish to monitor but they do
> not want to exchange time with them.  There must be a way to continue
> to get this behavior.

Unless I'm confused, you can't monitor another system unless you can get
packets back from it.

I can't think of any use for a server or peer entry if you won't accept
packets from that system.

I expect you are thinking of the "noselect" keyword on the server config
line.  It goes through all the polling and logging, but skips that server
when it gets to the selection stage.  "monitor" might be a useful alias.
That's what I use it for.