[ntp:hackers] Re: More questions on the ATOM driver.

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Tue Mar 7 21:10:46 UTC 2006

> 1. The kernel provides corrections at every tick interrupt, not at
> every  second as in the unkernel mode. The kernel particpation is
> necessary if  the intrinsic frequency error is over 100 PPM and the
> required timing  accuracy is less than 100 microseconds.

I think I'm missing a key idea.  Why is a constant frequency offset
interesting?

I'd expect ntpd to figure out the drift, tell the kernel, and after than the
normal timer ticks would update the clock with the correct(ed) time-per-tick
and all would be wonderful.

Maybe I don't understand what "kernel provides corrections" is correcting.