[ntp:hackers] Re: More questions on the ATOM driver.

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Wed Mar 8 01:14:08 UTC 2006

> Reg,
>

> I think your mission to stand down the kernel PPS is probably moot. Do
> you expect HP, Sun, Cisco and FreeBSD to remove the support now that
> it's been in their products for over a decade?

No, but then this PPS code has never made it into the Linux kernel.
Ulrich had a patch for the 2.4.x series of kernels that included both the
PPS capture code and the PPS kernel code, but it was never submitted to
become part of the official kernel tree.

Since then Ulrich has had a much smaller patch for the 2.6.x kernel tree
that just has the PPS capture code in it, and not the 'enable kernel' stuff.

As noted on this list a month or so ago, Rodolfo Giometti has a similar
patch, using more modern methods to communicate from the user to the kernel.

So for Linux, and what we consider modern, fast, machines, it would seem
to me, that this new patch could be enough.  Thats where Im really heading.

There's no question of removing it where it currently exists, just the
question of NOT writing and installing it if it doesnt exist.
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com