[ntp:hackers] Re: magnitudes for ntpq variables

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Fri Mar 31 22:10:48 UTC 2006

Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
> "David J Taylor" said:
> >We've already seen this with the Wiki format for some of the NTP
> >documents, where an ill-defined, unfriendly and obscure user interface
> >is preventing all but a few folks from adding to the knowledge base.
> >And we spend more time arguing about that than it would take to update
> >the documents!
>
> I can't recall YOU ever contributing anything other than criticism of
> our efforts.

Well, I've griped about the Wiki too :-).

That said, I will VOLUNTEER to convert whatever HTML Dave produces
into man pages. In fact, I will contribute a tool that does this
function (and with 99% certainty, that tool will be in Perl and
will make use of a couple of CPAN HTML-parser modules.)

Yes, such a tool could be stymied by really obtuse WYSIWYG HTML tools
but I trust Dave not to use those.

I know that maybe some will object to a vital tool being in Perl and maybe
Perl's not supported on all the archaic platforms that NTP supports,
but it'll only have to be run when the documentation changes.

Tim.