[ntp:hackers] review of offset calculation in simple querying client

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon May 1 22:00:39 UTC 2006

hi guys,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 11:39:25AM -0400, Danny Mayer wrote:
> Well we use nagios ourselves to monitor the health of our NTP project
> systems so we'd bee happy to work with you on this. I don't know how we
> have things set up as I was not involved. Let me see if I can find who
> was involved.

That would be appreciated!  i've just finished the final touches on
getting this plugin "feature complete", so it's ready to be put through
its paces.  i've just made the commit to CVS, so hopefully after
the next nightly cvs export there will be a tarball available.  i'll
follow up when it is or when i've otherwise prepared a tarball you
can ( ./configure; make ) to get the new check_ntp.

my only real concern with the plugin is that with all the bit shifting
and masking going on that there might be a bigendian/64-bit issue
lurking around somewhere.  i can test the latter on my amd64, but
my ultrasparcs are sitting powered-off in a closet 4000 miles away :(

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 05:43:45PM +0100, Ronan Flood wrote:
> (off-list in case I'm wrong :)

im replying on-list, because i think you're right :)

> > 	return (.5*((peer_tx-client_rx)+(peer_rx-client_tx))-rtdelay);
> >
> > assuming that the macros in question do what they're supposed to do,
> > is there anything fundamentally wrong with how i'm calculating the
> > offset?  any insight would be appreciated!
>
> Try deleting "-rtdelay"

that totally did it.  thanks!

	sean