[ntp:hackers] Asynch resolver

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Mon May 8 13:19:18 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

>  Don't forget that ntpd is itself asynchronous, it doesn't
> wait for responses to it's packets, it just moves on to the next item.
> When it gets something back it processes it when it gets to it.
>
> Danny

Sure, which is exactly why it currently has to do name resolution
in another process, since name resolution blocks and ntpd cannot
afford to block.

Again, arbitrary name resolution blocks. There is no way around that.
The only way to deal with that is to either do the name resolution in
another thread or another process. Doing it in another thread opens
yourself up to threading issues.

--
blu

Rose are #FF0000, Violets are #0000FF. All my base are belong to you.