[ntp:hackers] Asynch resolver

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon May 8 13:58:01 UTC 2006

Brian,

First, this has nothing to do with orphan mode. The minclock specifies
the minimum number of servers left after casting off the outlyers. The
minsane is the minimum number of servers what must be found within the
selection threshold for valid synchronization. A purist would require
that both of these values be four. Of course, if you configured four
servers and one of them became ill or a majority clique of four could
not be found, the client would in effect lose all sources. Most folks
would consider this a violation of the Principle of Least Astonishment.
I don't defend or support this; you can of course tinker to your taste.

Dave