[ntp:hackers] Asynch resolver

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue May 9 01:18:33 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Dave,
>
> tinker minclock 4 and minsane 4
>
> addresses what the algorithms want, yes?
>
> Brian was talking about "how many different A records do we pull from a
> name".

Currently we only pull one AAAA record or A record if there are no IPv6
records. We drop the rest. Really.

> You said that if somebody specifies the pool, we should take the 3 best
> servers.

Currently it does none of that. If you put identical lines into the conf
file you will get either the same IP addresses or different ones
dependant on the resolver implementation and a number of other factors
that are never under the NTP admins' control.

> Are you saying that the code that selects N IPs from a name record
> should use the value of minclock or minsane to decide how many IPs to
> get?

It can't do that right now.