[ntp:hackers] What to do when the offset is WAYTOOBIG

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Apr 18 20:18:17 PDT 2007

Brian,

I am watching five clocks. Three of the say 1200, two say 1300 and my
clock says 1400. Since the majority of clocks I watch say 1200, I
conclude the real time is 1220, but that is beyond my panic limit of one
hour. Should I wait until things "get better"? I think not. I could make
the panic limit over two hours and things would get better real quick.
Or, I could use the -x option. so the first panic would be forgiven and
my clock would read 1200. If after that a warp occurs over 1000 s
relative to the majority clique, there may be a stuck bit in the
hardware clock (that's happened) and I need to jump the train right away.

Dave