[ntp:hackers] What to do when the offset is WAYTOOBIG

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Thu Apr 19 10:59:18 PDT 2007

Brian,

There are two separable issue to consider here, the clock selection
algorithm and the panic threshold.

The clock selection algorithm was designed only after considerable
discusion, both in the commercial community (DEC) and in the computer
science theory community. As has been noted, it is based from the model
described in Keith Marzullo's dissertation and discussions at the
Dagstuhl Conference in southern Germany. I say this to emphasize this
model has been extensively vetted by a bunch of guys I trust.

The absolute bedrock method in the design is to find the best majority
subset of clocks that agree within some interval based on delay. There
is strong theoretical and practical evidence that the true UTC is
somewhere in the middle of what I call the intersection interval
developed by the algorithm. In my example, the conditions are the same
before the clock is set at 1200 and after the clock has been set
manually. The three 1200 clocks remain the truechimers and the two 1300
clocks remain the falsetickers. The fact the falsetickers are sbove or
below the panic threshold is not significant. The only time the panic
threshold is important is at the time the clock is to be set.

Notwithstanding the above, the important issue is whether to step the
clock, wait for better times or call for (presumably) human
intervention. I purposely chose a scenario where it was necessary to
choose betwen two alternative cliques, the members of which were close
together while the cliques themselves were far apart. It could be the
nearest clique is within the panic threshold, but the selection
algorithm considers that clique falseticker by the rules. Thus, the only
thing remainin is whether to step to the truechimer clique or panic.

In my example there is no credible way the two cliques come together
left by themselves unless one of them is manually stepped. Should either
clique be rescued, it joins the other clique and things get well. So,
the only question remaining is when the panic threshold is exceeded,
whether to fall on your sword or step. I submit this is a nonstarter to
argue. You get to set the panic interval anywhere you like, perhaps 30
years might be appropriate.

Dave