[ntp:hackers] new config parsing code

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at sun.com
Wed Apr 25 09:20:54 PDT 2007

Is the simulator something that I would want to ship to my customers,
or something I use to verify and/or diagnose NTP's behavior on a
particular OS rev? If so, I might be inclined to pass it around
internally at Sun, but not to ship in to customers. If I am wrong,
then help me to understand the customer usage of the simulator.

David L. Mills wrote:
> Brian,
>
> So far as I am concenred, the simulator is an integral component in the
> distribution, especially as it has enhanced functionality over the
> previous version. As you say Sun will not include it in their
> distribution, I assume Sun will commit such resources as to maintain a
> separate corporate distibution. In that case, I assume Sun will commit
> such resources to aid in the related development effort.
>
> You should be reminded that Digital did commit a warm body to aid in the
> development of NTPv3.
>
> Dave
>
> Brian Utterback wrote:
>
>> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Sachin has almost finished the beast.  To our knowledge the last issue
>>> that needs to be resolved is a linker problem building ntpdsim.  (There
>>> are functions defined in libntp.a that we want to override for ntpdsim
>>> by creating copies in a .o file, and the linker is seeing both and
>>> complaining instead of using the versions in the .o file and ignoring
>>> the later definitions in the .a file.)
>>>
>>> I can either commit the code now and we work on fixing this linker issue
>>> ASAP, or I can wait until we resolve the link problem before committing
>>> the code.
>>>
>>> Any preferences out there?

>> I vote for sooner, but I have a vested interest in getting it done
>> soon and have no such
>> interest in the simulator since we will not be delivering it.

blu

"Remember 'A Thousand Points of Light'? With a network, we now have
a thousand points of failure."