[ntp:hackers] new config parsing code

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 25 20:34:15 PDT 2007

Harlan Stenn wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> As long as we're on the subject, Sachin's code is using yacc/bison.
>>>
>>> The generated files *will* be part of the tarball distribution.
>>>
>>> I can either check in the generated files (and handle the timestamps
>>> in the bootstrap script) or require anybody who grabs the code
>>> directly from the repos to have either yacc or bison to generate them.
>>>
>>> Anybody feel strongly about either way?

>> What impact would using yacc/bison have on building the Windows version?
>
> If you want to build on windows from a bk repo (as opposed to from a
> tarball) you will need to have yacc or bison in your toolchain if I do
> not check these generated files into the repo.
>
> The same will be true for Unix.

Basically I'd have to work quite hard to find these tools for Windows. I
did have something for yacc on VMS at one time but requiring these kinds
of tools stinks these days. Years ago this was the common tool for
parsers but if you want a language that runs on almost everything, I
would have chosen perl. This is okay for a student project but we are
way beyond that and it needs to be something that can be easily
supported and easily modifiable. I don't like the choice but then nobody
asked me.

Danny