[ntp:hackers] Agilent 5071/a

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 22 14:24:06 PST 2007

> Does anyone ever hacked the hpgps refclock driver for using it with
> the  Agilent 5071/a Primary Frequency Standard?

I haven't heard of any work in that area.

How does a 5071A get synced up to UTC?

You might try connecting up the PPS signal and using the ATOM/PPS driver.  It
needs a prefer-ed driver that is close to get the right second.  Normally
that would come from the serial channel from the 5071A or Z3801A or ... but a
system on the net might work if you have a reasonable network connection.  At
least to get off the ground.  It obviously breaks if either the other system
or your network connection dies and may not be good enough if your link is
sometimes busy.

> In addition, hpgps responds with yyyymmmddhhmmss string and 5071a
> respongs  only hhmmss and for getting the date you have to ask for
> Julian Date and  make the conversion.

Julian Date conversion is easier than year-month-day.  It's just a constant
offset and multiply by seconds/per/day.

Watch out for the midnight glitch.  The standard trick is to read date, time,
date, and try again if the dates don't match.  (Or ignore the problem and the
filter will take care of it.)