[ntp:hackers] Getting Hackers and the NTP Lists listed with Linked In...

TS Glassey tglassey at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 14:18:54 UTC 2008

> What has Russ Housley got to do with this and what does ISC have to do
> with it? This is not the NTP Working Group, this is hackers and ISC is
> not involved here except indirectly.

Because Danny the Intellectual Property Rights to the IP developed here were
formally 'given' to the IETF under the IETF's participation rules and
agreement.

But gee - if its too much for you to connect all the dot's here I will
understand, let me help you...

This WG - because its working on adapting and extending properties already
controlled under the IETF's copyright is in fact an IETF group whether you
or anyone else here likes that or not. Hackers in fact may be violating IETF
processes by not formally archiving this WG's efforts with the IETF. The
fact that technical discussions are done here that are folded into the Spec
and the IETF submission also makes this an IETF WG...

I suggest that maybe we should ask some attorney's about what they think
here eh Danny?

What I am betting they formaly say is that "The legal rights to NTP were
ceeded to the IETF when the original filing was done and anything that
changes that which is to go into the IETF Standards Process is in fact an
IETF WG". That means everything that happens on HACKERS is part of NTPWG and
they both *** must be archived and managed per the IETF's rules ***.

Sorry - but it is what it is.

Todd Glassey